Tuesday, June 5, 2012

#RoofOnRoofOnRoof

(I'm writing this week's blog as each day happens.)

Monday: 
Let's begin with the fact that our group this week is extremely high energy. Since they got here last night, I have heard a constant running and jumping coming above me in the building. To quiet the kids down at dinner last night, Sarah walks out of the kitchen with a big pan and spoon to hit, since her screaming into the microphone wasn't enough. Although they are a big rambunctious, they are fun and full of energy, which will be key to surviving this week on the roofs in this heat. 

Today, my group (about 8 kids & 3 adults) met at Ms. Delia's house. (I have been told by many of the Blueprint staff that I am so blessed to be at her house with her). We began to pull off shingles and cover the roof with tar paper. For all of you who have never done a roof, you're not missing out. To begin with, neither I nor none of the leaders in my group are truly experienced with roofing so it was a somewhat shot in the dark. By the end of the day, the group had left and I was exhausted but hesitant if we did the tar paper correctly. Therefore, Doug came. Needless to say, it was a very humbling experience. He first told me "You have about a tenth of the nails you should have holding the tar paper down." Well great.. On the plus side, Doug and his friend Josh, who is helping out at a house this week, came to my rescue and we put in basically all the nails I should have had my team do on the worksite today. Doug, full of mercy, told me that it was okay, it is his job, and it is a learning experience for me. WHEW. Wiping the sweat off my brow..but really..I was wiping the sweat off my brow, arms, legs, neck, and every other body part that perspires. 

Day #1=a struggle, but yet a success because I am learning. 
God is good, all the time. All the time, God is good.

1 comment:

  1. A big part of this experience is learning. The most successful learning is done from failing so don't worry about making mistakes, just get up dust yourself off and try again. God will be there to catch you when you fall :)

    ReplyDelete