Tuesday, June 5, 2012

#RoofOnRoofOnRoof Day 2

Tuesday:

I can honestly say that today was about 110% better than yesterday. After Doug came out yesterday, he definitely boosted my confidence. However, driving to the worksite today, I couldn't help but feel dread towards feeling inefficient and unskilled (two feelings I greatly dislike). Anyways, within 10 minutes on the site, my group's teamwork excelled more than I had expected. The awesome group leaders decided that they kids will be able to receive Jolly Ranchers when they do something good. Incentive: always a plus. I even got one for putting on sun screen!

By lunch time, we had a solid system going. Each kid knew their position and were doing it well. Of course we had a few issues at first, but they were easily fixed. One awesome thing was how the kids did not like that their work wasn't right (of course, who wants to be told they are doing something wrong). What made it awesome was that they wanted to learn how to make it better to fix their mistake. Lunch ended up being an hour and a half. Usually this would have bothered me so much because that is a lot of wasted time. However, it was so long because of our long devotional. Now that the devotional was actually long, but because the group really wanted to discuss our topic about how to live each day as a living sacrifice. So neat to see kids that age so interested and having to much input. Thank God for children.


These two awesome girls probably put up half the shingles that we finished on the roof today. So blessed to have these two in my group!

Overall, we finished about half the roof with tar paper and shingles. Tomorrow, we plan to tar paper the back side and finish all the shingles on the front. We can do it! My day was a lot better than yesterday!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a better day! Its so awesome to hear that the children are so devoted to God and want to discuss such strong subjects. Hope you finished the roof :)

    ReplyDelete