Monday, June 11, 2012

Officially 3 Weeks in SA






After 3 weeks in San Antonio, I have to say that I absolutely love it. As you can guess, my week wound up much better last week. A group of 8 crazy middle school kids, 3 adults and I finished a roof for a wonderful woman in 4 days. It is so true. With God, all things are possible. (Phil 4:13--I think this will be my verse for the summer.) It was such an inspiration to see the group of kids really come together and say "yes, we will finish this roof!" Their determination, even though they sure loved their water breaks, was truly something that I will remember throughout the summer when I have other groups. Another awesome thing we do at Blueprint is give the homeowners a scrapbook made by the youth of pictures taken during the week. So the last day the group gives the homeowner the book so that they can remember the people who worked on their house. Our group was so excited to give Ms. Delia her book!


Throughout the week, I was noticing one of my tires acting funny. Finally, after driving back to the Galt's on the interstate, I stopped at HEB and sure enough when I came out my car was tilted. Flat tire. At least it was expected. A very nice man came and helped me change it to my goofy looking spare donut tire. He was a father of three children, one of which had the same thing happen a week before. Flat tire central.

To finish off the week (once I made it home on my goofy looking tire), after we laid out and napped by the pool, Karen and I went to a local coffee shop called Local Coffee (original right?). We relaxed and really had good bonding time away from all the craziness with the group this week. What a relief it was each day to come back to the building and have Karen there. One of her best qualities: listening. Even to my dumb stories.

Saturday we went with the other interns, Sarah, and Doug to get breakfast tacos from Ruthie's. Yes, I did it. Breakfast tacos. And I have to admit..YUM! After that lovely meal, Karen, Sarah, and I have a High School Musical Marathon (which we still need to finish). In the middle of our marathon, I had to go get my tire changed. Adult status. Really, I did feel pretty grown up.

 Later that night, Karen and I went downtown to the Mexican Market Square and the River Walk. I FINALLY saw the Alamo. Didn't realize how tiny it was until then. Still amazing though. We had a bunch of fun just playing downtown and hanging out. We even got ice cream at a little shop along the River Walk. Fun fact about Karen and I: we love dessert. After, we met up with Reed and he took us to Gruene, Texas, a little town about 45 minutes away. 

Sunday we went to The Park, the church that most of the Blueprint staff attends as well as the Galt's and other people we have become connected with, such as our worship leader and summer speaker for our Blueprint camps. What an amazing community of people. It is so personal as it is only about 250 people who attend. We meet in an elementary school cafeteria, nothing fancy, and I love it!

This week we are back to work hours because we don't have a group this week. So we are doing miscellaneous stuff around the building and at some of our homeowners' houses. I am crossing my fingers that I get to go see Ms. Nannie May this week and paint the bars on her windows. Also, I want to go to visit with her. Love our homeowners!

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you are loving it now! and so glad to hear you weren't stranded on the highway with that flat. You do know how to change one don't you?? Downtown San Ant by the river walk and the Alamo is so pretty and cool. Continue to bless the wonderful people you are meeting. You are doing great things Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^^^ SUP RYAN!

    Anyways, could you please change you blog background and layout more? sesh every time I come on here its something different hahah :) I'm happy you are having such a blast! It sounds like not only are you helping others but you're enjoying yourself as well with getting to experience all of San Antonio! Continue to do great things with God's will D, I have no doubt that you will make a huge impact on everyone you meet this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Diane, I am so inspired by your posts ( & you)! Keep up the "good works"; your faith is changing lives! Love to you, mrsR
    "
Vision without action is merely a dream. Action without vision just passes the time. Vision with action can change the world." -Joel A. Barker:

    ReplyDelete