Monday, June 4, 2012

Group 1

So, we have officially had our first group come through. Wow. Let me tell you about middle school kids..they are awesome!! Unfortunately, our first group only served with us two days, Friday and Saturday. I wish they could have stayed longer. However, this group of 60 students from St. Lukes in Houston painted 6 houses in 2 work days (9-3:30 with a lunch break). Each group was about 10 including students and adult leaders. I have the pleasure of working with two groups! 
My first group worked on Ms. Nannie May's house. (You can see her sitting in a chair outside her house). She is the definition of sweet woman. Not only did she interact with us all day by watching us outside, talking to us, and giving us pecans, she also participated by painting some of her garden decorations. The group of kids on the last day left after we finished while I stayed behind just to finish cleaning up and spending time with Ms. Nannie may. Low and behold, here comes the work teams van and out pops one of the sweet boys with two sonic drinks, a sweet tea for Ms. Nannie May and a cherry limeade for me. Such a blessing working with such hardworking kids who had some of the best team work I have ever seen.

My other house, which I shared with Bryan, consisted of a group of extremely hardworking middle school boys. They were all working every time I stopped over, except for taking water breaks, which are oh so necessary in this Texas heat! (I will try to get a picture of this house from Karen). They painted the house of Ms. Irene Hayes, who I was able to go visit the week before to tell her that we would be painting her house. As Doug described what we do at Blueprint, we watched her eyes light up. She was very concerned that she would be charged for the work which is a common concern among our homeowners. I just learned this really. It is not uncommon for people to say they will do a job, do it half way or not even at all even though the homeowner paid. Clearly, you can see the reasons for the prominent lack of trust. 

One of the highlights of the weekend was us waking up the kids to the Circle of Life from The Lion King. If you want to see a dining hall full of adults jump, turn that song on the surround sound loudly.

Sunday morning the group left and we were expecting a group to come in around 3, even though they got here more at 5. Regardless, our neighbors, the Zia's clean the building between groups for us. Instead of having the weekend to do it, they powered it out in just a morning. We have a big building might I remind. More power to them. Side note: the Zia's are an amazing family! Not only do they parents help us, but all their children as well. I cannot imagine us keeping up with the building without them.

I will keep you updated on the group from this week! We are roofing this week. Sneak peek into my next blog post: roofing is not my favorite thing ever. I repeat. It is not my most favorite thing ever.

1 comment:

  1. I leave for a week and you have three new posts! My goodnes, well I am so glad to hear you enjoyed the first few groups so much! Be sure to be drinking lots of water :)

    ReplyDelete