Sunday, February 3, 2013

Nita Hiatt: a true blessing to all.

You know those people that everyone loves? That people gravitate towards? That always know the right thing to say? That always smile no matter what? That persevere no matter what?

Growing up, I was so blessed to have one of these people in my life. Her name is Nita Hiatt, also known by Nanny or Nana to everyone. Not having grandparents within 10 hours never seemed to really phase me because I knew I had a grandmother in my life whether or not through blood. Nana is my best friend's, Lindsey, grandma. I borrowed her though. =)

Each week at church, I had to go find Nana to give her a hug. Walking up each week she would always tell me "You better come hug me." How could I not? To be able to love on a woman so incredible and so full of purpose to love others is such a high light in my life. She showed me how to genuinely care and be excited for life. One of my favorite things to watch her do was to love her family. I have never seen anyone love every member of their family so equally and so fully. She would do anything for her family. Every basketball game Lindsey and I ever played, there Nana was, on the bleachers cheering us on. After the game, while telling us "good game," we were also coached in what we could do better. Such a spit fire. Her sweetness was out of this world, but paired with a tough love that was so admirable.

For almost as long as I can remember, Nana was battling cancer. In the fourth grade, I remember Lindsey's mom giving me a Livestrong bracelet in honor of Nana. Little did I know what this stretchy yellow bracelet meant. Little did I know that it truly described Nana to the fullest. She lived strong, lived brave, and lived in love. She was a fighter. Her inner strength seemed to overflow and help her overcome any illness she faced. There will never be enough words to truly describe her, because she is indescribable. People like her don't come around often.

I hope someday to be able to fight like Nana. Fight to love. Fight to live to the fullest. Fight to be an example of Christ in the world no matter what.

Now, God has the best angel, and we have the best guardian angel. Her attitude towards life and how she treated people will always be an example of how we are called to live. A true inspiration and a true blessing. Thank God for Nita Hiatt. May we always remember her spirit, her hugs, and her love.

The Lord bless you and keep you;
The Lord make His face shine upon you,
And be gracious to you'
The Lord light up His countenance upon you,
and give you peace.
Numbers 6:24-26

Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely fits Nita/ Nanny to a T, Diane! A wonderful tribute. Love you, D Rowland

    ReplyDelete