Friday, June 29, 2012

Colossians 3:23

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters. 
Colossians 3:23

Huge right!?
This could not have been more reinforced this week by the entire group of students and leaders who came. A grand total of about 140 people came to Blueprint this week to work on a total of 14 houses. Yes, we were at full capacity in the building. Luckily I never felt like we were climbing over each other. From the first night, I immediately clicked with this group. Not only did they bring middle school kids like the other church but also high school students as well. This created a real great balance among the group as the older and younger kids all got along and mixed. Also, our big group was led by DeeDee's son Chris along with a bunch of awesome adult and college age leaders.

My team posing on the roof.
My team in particular consisted of 8 high school students, mostly going into junior year, and their leader Wes, who used to be the church's middle school youth director. From our very first group meeting I knew it was going to be a great week, I had already gotten the nickname "Princess Diana." (Real original I know.) On top of that, they were open, outgoing, excited, and experienced. Could not have asked for a more perfect group to have on a roof in 100+ weather. Every now and then you would hear one of them shout "What's gonna work?" To which everyone else replied "TEAM WORK!" This was true. Team work really does make the dream work. They did a great job of encouraging and looking out for one another. The spirit of servitude shown through them all as they worked hard to finish a roof for our sweet homeowners, Mr. and Mrs. Huizar. 

Apart from construction, tools, supplies, and home depot this week, I gave my testimony one night during worship. Although I openly talk about my faith, I have never told my testimony at a given time for a large group of people. Although my testimony doesn't include any catastrophic event or major change in life style, I felt like I really connected to the group who was there. I was once in their shoes and went on mission trips, retreats, to youth group, bible study, church, made my best friends in youth group. Therefore, I felt like I easily related to them as the things that they participate in are the very things that helped my lay the foundation for my faith to grow from. I made sure to encourage them to not create their faith through others, but instead begin to also grow and search personally in order to genuinely own their faith. It took a while, and I am still working on it every day, but I have learned that Jesus died for me, and I am in control of my life and how I live for him.

And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.
Ephesians 2:22

1 comment: